There has been a significant growth of laser procedures performed for the past year in the country. According to recent statistics from the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, laser hair removal made it to the top five non-surgical cosmetic procedures in 2012. Here at our Los Angeles laser surgery practice, we have also noticed that more clients are expressing interest in laser procedures such as hair removal and vein removal last year.
Significant Growth in Laser Surgery Mishaps
While the increasing demand for laser surgery may be good news, it has been observed that there has been a significant growth in laser surgery mishaps, too. This New York Times article talked about the story of a woman from Brooklyn who suffered from burning pain after her third session of laser hair removal. Such mishap resulted from an operator error scheduling her treatment 4 weeks apart rather than the recommended interval of 10 to 12 weeks.
Although our team here at our laser surgery practice in Los Angeles are highly experienced and skilled in performing laser procedures, we also encourage our patients to do their part in ensuring safety before they decide to have either laser hair removal or laser vein removal.
Below are things to consider to ensure safety before your laser surgery:
- Figure out who will be administering the treatment. By and large, the doctor-in-charge will perform the procedure. If the treatment is not performed by the physician, make sure that a supervising doctor is readily available in case issues will arise during the procedure.
- Ask questions. No matter how trivial your question is, ask away! Excellent examples include “What should I do to prepare for the procedure?”, “How long is the recovery period?”, and “What are the credentials of the person performing the procedure?”
- Reveal your medical history to your doctor. This includes previous allergies and medications or herbal supplements you’ve taken in the past. You might also want to include a detailed report of your current lifestyle including food preferences (vegetarian, vegan, paleo, etc), alcohol intake, and smoking habits.
- Ask your doctor if it’s the right type of laser treatment for you and if it’s suitable for your skin type, complexion, body area, and hair color.
- Inform your doctor about previous experiences with scarring.
- Manage your expectations. Discuss your expectations with your doctor and ask if it’s the same set of outcomes you’re expecting. Would you be able to achieve the outcome with one session alone? Or do you need multiple treatments?
Safe and Effective Laser Surgery at the Los Feliz MedSpa
Here at our laser surgery practice, we offer personalized cosmetic options that are in parallel with your aesthetic goals and ideals. In addition, your safety is our top priority. Get in touch with us today by calling 323-664-0186 or by filling out this contact form. We look forward to your visit!